1-Day Salmon River Fly Fishing Trip
- Where: Outfitted for approximately 232 miles of Salmon River
- When: Daily June through September
- Spin or Fly – Fishing Gear: All rods and fishing tackle provided by your guide (personal gear welcome)
- Trip Length: Varies daily 5 to 12 miles changes any given day depending on river conditions
- Departure Time: Early morning, between 7:00 and 8:00 am depending on water temperatures and section of river that you and your guide will be fishing. Most often departure is around 7:30 am
- Ending Time: Varies daily, usually around 3:00 but as late as 5:00 pm
- Meals: Delicious riverside lunch, snacks and beverages provided
- Fish Processing: Catch and release with the exception of whitefish
- Age Restrictions: No restrictions
- Cost: $475 per boat for 2 people ($400 for 1 person)
Season – June through September
Beginners are very welcome and do quite well!
Equipment and Lessons are provided!
We can pick you up at your hotel or meet you in Salmon or Challis!
Your 1 Day Salmon River Fly Fishing Trip Features:
Salmon River – We will take you fishing from a drift boat on the river section that you have the best opportunity to have an active day playing our native cutthroat trout!
- Season – June through September
- Beginners are very welcome and do quite well!
- Equipment and lessons are provided!
- We can pick you up at your hotel or meet you in Salmon or Challis!
Where We Fish
Location: We fish upstream of Challis to 70 miles downstream of Salmon so we can follow the fish as they are moving. We can meet at our headquarters in the morning to begin your day of fishing or we can pick you up at your place of stay. See our fishing packages that include lodging and extended fishing days.
Itinerary – 1 Day Salmon River Fly Fishing Trip
Departure Early Morning: Between 7:00 and 8:00 am depending on water temperatures, weather, and section of river that you and your guide will be fishing. Most often departure is around 7:30 am. We will meet either at the Idaho Adventures’ headquarters or a pre-determined location. You don’t have to worry about any of the equipment, lunch or drinks. Make sure you have your fishing license.
Ending Time: Varies daily, but usually around 3:00 pm and as late as 5:00 pm. This fishing trip is a catch and release with the exception of whitefish. We will process your fish, clean, fillet, vacuum seal and freeze for your trip home.
Planning Your Trip
Transportation is provided to and from the locations of the put-in and take-out. Arrangements can be made for personal transportation from local hotel or campground pick-ups prior to your trip if required.
- Highly competent and darn friendly guides
- Complimentary drinking mug
- Fresh, healthy, delicious lunch
- Plenty of drinking water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soda and beer (please let us know your preferences so we can pack our cooler accordingly)
- All fishing gear
Personal Gear you should bring….
- Idaho Fishing License
- Idaho Salmon Permit
- Good quality rain gear (jacket & pants) – Note: Rentals available from Idaho Adventures with advance notice.
- Polypro or fleece jacket (and pants)
- Sunglasses (polarized) with strap
- Warm hat/gloves
- Thin glove liners are very important for casting
- Small washcloth and towel
- Quart water bottle
- Camera, film
- Prescription Drugs
Optional Items to Bring….
- 8 or 9 weight spin and/or fly rod and rod case(s)
- Lures, Flies, etc.
- Guides have a large supply of gear – (don’t forget to consider this item when you generously tip your guides!)
- Pliers, hook sharpener, etc. (guides will also have this equipment, but bring your own if you have it)
- Fly fisherman should bring chest waders, wading belt & wading shoes (not cleated)
- Hard liquor, additional beer and soda
- Small fanny pack or fishing vest
May to late September
The Salmon River Canyon is normally arid and warm from late May to late September with average daytime temperatures ranging from the 70’s to 90’s. Nighttime temperatures are cooler but comfortable, from the low 50’s to high 60’s. Summer water temperatures range from the 60’s to 70’s, perfect for rafting and swimming. May or early June is when river levels generally peak, but the Salmon is fed by enough tributaries to maintain a robust flow of water all summer long – even in low water years.
Spring and Fall
The weather in our area can be unpredictable. Warm days are just as frequent as chilly, wet ones and you may experience several types of weather in a single day. Temperatures will vary throughout the day – typically from the low 30’s into the 70’s. Some general rules of thumb apply: 1) Dress and pack with “layers” in mind – bring clothes that you can easily take on and off and “layer” throughout the day as conditions change. 2) Polypropylene and wool are always warmer (and lighter) than cotton. And, 3) It is always easier to stay dry than it is to get dry. So, plan to bring a good set of breathable, waterproof raingear.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need further information – We are always happy to assist in your pre-trip planning. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Idaho Adventures at 208-756-2986 or 1-800-789-9283
Choose Your Idaho Fishing Trip
Steelhead Fishing Trips
- 1/2 Day
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- Lodge to Lodge
- Steelhead & Chuckar
Cast n’ Blast
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- 4 to 6 Day Lodge to Lodge
- Salmon River 1-Day Drift Boat
- Salmon River 3-Day / 4-Night
- Lemhi River 1-Day Walk n Wade
- Lemhi River 2-Day / 2 Night
- 2017 Custom Trips
“What an unbelievable experience! These steelhead are magnificent…this reminds me of fishing Alaska.”
Craig Johnson, Boise Idaho
1 Day Salmon River Fly Fishing Trip
Daily June – September
Price: $475 per boat for 2 people ($400 for 1 person)
1 Day Fishing
Lunch, snacks, beverages
Free use of fishing gear