Half-Day Steelhead Fishing on Salmon River
1/2-Day Steelhead Fishing Trip
- When: Daily – March, early April, October and November
- Where: Outfitted for approximately 232 miles of Salmon River
- Spin or Fly – Fishing Gear: All rods and fishing tackle provided by your guide, personal gear welcome
- Trip Length: Varies daily 5 to 8 miles changes any given day depending on the steelhead
- Departure Time: Early morning, between 6:30 and 8:00 am depending on water temperatures or afternoon fishing depending on your schedule.
- Ending Time: Expect to be on the water from 31/2 to 41/2 hours
- Meals: Snacks and beverages
- Fish Processing: Idaho Adventures will provide fish cleaning, vacuum sealing, freezing of your fish so you have them neatly prepared for your trip home.
- Age Restrictions: No restrictions
- Cost: $390 per boat for 2 people ($375 for 1 person)
Steelhead Season – March, early April, October and November
Beginners are very welcome and do quite well!
Equipment and lessons are provided!
We can pick you up at your hotel or meet you down river or in Challis!
Your 1/2 Day Steelhead Fishing Trip Features:
Salmon River – We will take you fishing on the river section that you have the best opportunity to land steelhead! Our guiding staff pays close attention to steelhead habits so your limited time on the water has the best chance to pay off with fantastic steelhead pictures and wonderful tasting fillets to share with your friends.
- Steelhead Season – March, early April, October and November
- Beginners are very welcome and do quite well!
- Equipment and Lessons are provided!
- We can pick you up at your hotel or meet you down river or in Challis!
Steelhead Acrobatics and Strength Abound
Steelhead are an ocean-run rainbow trout with a reputation as a world-class freshwater sport fish. These fish are elusive and the most dedicated anglers spend countless hours trying to catch them. Our seasoned guides have set the standard for local knowledge and experience and feed their passion for fishing both on and off the clock. For our guests and guides, the true allure of steelheading is the journey. Yet, nothing quite matches the thrill of a steelhead’s hard tug of a 5 to 20 pound steely and then watching it leap and fight your line.
Where We Fish….
Location: We fish upstream of Challis to 70 miles downstream of Salmon so we can follow the fish as they are moving. We can meet at our headquarters in the morning to begin your day of fishing or we can pick you up at your place of stay. See our fishing packages that include lodging and extended fishing days.
Itinerary – 1/2-Day Steelhead Fishing Trip
Departure Early Morning or afternoon: Between 6:30 and 8:00 am or around 1 pm, depending on water temperatures, weather, daylight saving time… and section of river that you and your guide will be fishing. Most often departure is around 7:15 am. We will meet either at the Idaho Adventures’ headquarters or a pre-determined location. You don’t have to worry about any of the equipment, snacks or drinks. Make sure you have your fishing license and steelhead permit.
Ending Time: Varies daily. You may plan on fishing between 3 and 4 hours during your trip. We will process your fish, clean, fillet, vacuum seal and freeze for your trip home.
Planning Your Trip
Transportation is provided from the Idaho Adventures’ headquarters, 10 Courthouse Drive, Salmon, or from a prearranged hotel or location. Free parking available.
- Highly competent and darn friendly guides
- Complimentary drinking mug
- Snacks and beverages
- Plenty of drinking water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soda and beer (please let us know your preferences so we can pack our cooler accordingly.
- All fishing gear
You should bring….
- Idaho Fishing License
- Idaho Steelhead Permit
- Good quality rain gear (jacket & pants) – Note: Rentals available from Idaho Adventures with advance notice.
- Polypro or fleece jacket (and pants)
- Sunglasses (polarized) with strap
- Warm hat/gloves
- Thin glove liners are very important for casting
- Small washcloth and towel
- Quart water bottle
- Camera, film
- Prescription drugs
Optional items to bring….
- 8 or 9 weight spin and/or fly rod and rod case(s)
- Lures, flies, etc.
- Guides have a large supply of gear – (don’t forget to consider this item when you generously tip your guides!)
- Pliers, hook sharpener, etc. (guides will also have this equipment, but bring your own if you have it)
- Fly fisherman should bring chest waders, wading belt & wading shoes (not cleated)
- Hard liquor, additional beer and soda
- Small fanny pack or fishing vest
May to late September
The Salmon River Canyon is normally arid and warm from late May to late September with average daytime temperatures ranging from the 70’s to 90’s. Nighttime temperatures are cooler but comfortable, from the low 50’s to high 60’s. Summer water temperatures range from the 60’s to 70’s, perfect for rafting and swimming. May or early June is when river levels generally peak, but the Salmon is fed by enough tributaries to maintain a robust flow of water all summer long – even in low water years.
Spring and Fall
The weather in our area can be unpredictable. Warm days are just as frequent as chilly, wet ones and you may experience several types of weather in a single day. Temperatures will vary throughout the day – typically from the low 30’s into the 70’s. Some general rules of thumb apply: 1) Dress and pack with “layers” in mind – bring clothes that you can easily take on and off and “layer” throughout the day as conditions change. 2) Polypropylene and wool are always warmer (and lighter) than cotton. And, 3) It is always easier to stay dry than it is to get dry. So, plan to bring a good set of breathable, waterproof raingear.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need further information – We are always happy to assist in your pre-trip planning. E-mail: email@example.com or call Idaho Adventures at 208-756-2986 or 1-800-789-9283
Choose Your Idaho Fishing Trip
Steelhead Fishing Trips
- 1/2 Day
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- Lodge to Lodge
- Steelhead & Chuckar
Cast n’ Blast
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- 4 to 6 Day Lodge to Lodge
- Salmon River 1-Day Drift Boat
- Salmon River 3-Day / 4-Night
- Lemhi River 1-Day Walk n Wade
- Lemhi River 2-Day / 2 Night
- 2017 Custom Trips
1/2-Day Steelhead Fishing Trip
DAILY – Steelhead Season – March, early April, October and November
Cost: $390 per boat for 2 people ($375 for one person)
1/2 Day Fishing
Snacks & beverage
Free use of fishing gear