Lodge to Lodge Salmon River Wilderness Rafting Trips
5 or 6-Days on the “River of No Return”
Join us for a fun and relaxing “River of No Return” Lodge to Lodge wilderness adventure. Featuring days filled with rafting, fishing and exploring the Idaho backcountry, while enjoying the unique hospitality offered by Salmon River’s historic lodges. Depending on availability, you will be staying at historic wilderness lodges such as the Arctic Creek Lodge, Whitewater Ranch, China Bar, Mackay Bar and Shepp Ranch.
Lodge to Lodge Wilderness Trips are Custom Only Trips
Your gourmet dinners will be expertly prepared by lodge owners and their staff. Idaho Adventures is sure to pair dinners with a featured wine grown in Idaho’s Snake River Valley viticulture area. After a great meal with friends and family you will be able to enjoy a hot shower and sleeping in a bed each night!
Lodge trips vary depending on availability from $1,800 to $2,500 depending on length of trip and lodges available each trip. Please call for trip details as dates and cost depend on lodge availability.
Below is a sample of what this trip entails.
Lodge to Lodge Wilderness Steelhead Trip: 4 to 6-Days & Nights – Salmon River, River of No Return, Whitewater Rafting Trip
- Where: Main Salmon River, Corn Creek to Mackay Bar
- When: Custom Trip – May through September
- Trip Length: Approximately 56 miles over 5 or 6 days
- Class/Level: III/IV depending on water levels
- Orientation: 7:00 pm the day prior to launch at Idaho Adventures’ Headquarters
- Departing Time: 8:00 am
- Take-Out: Approximately 9:00 am on day 5 or 6
- Time on water: On average 4 to 8 hours daily
- Meals & Beverages: Included
- Lodging: Inclusive for 4 or 5 nights
- Age Restrictions: 6+- years of age depending on water flow
- Cost: $1800 to $2500 each depending on length of trip and lodge availability
*Maximum of 12, minimum of 8 per trip
Flight: $220 +/- (Not Included)
Lodge to Lodge Wilderness Trip
Your Lodge to Lodge Salmon River Wilderness Rafting Trip Features:
Join us for a fun and relaxing “River of No Return” Lodge to Lodge wilderness adventure. Featuring days filled with rafting, fishing and exploring the Idaho backcountry, while evenings are spent, enjoying the unique hospitality offered by Salmon River’s historic lodges. Your gourmet dinners will be expertly prepared by lodge owners and their staff. Idaho Adventures is sure to pair dinners with a featured wine grown in Idaho’s Snake River Valley Viticulture Area. After a great meal with friends and family you will be able to enjoy a hot shower and sleeping in a bed each night!
Your 4 to 6 day, 56 mile, rafting trip travels through the beautiful Main Salmon River, “River of No Return.” The Salmon River creates the second deepest canyon in North America and is also in the heart of more than 2.3 million acres of the Frank Church Wilderness. You will have the opportunity to soak in the sun and the gorgeous views, while making stops to hike, visit historic sites, fish, or just relax on one of the many beautiful Salmon River beaches. Wonderful lunches will be prepared riverside by your fantastic and darn friendly river guides.
You’ll find the distractions of day-to-day city life simply do not exist here. At times you’ll plunge through rapids or gently glide through peaceful sections past remnants of Native American and early pioneer settlements – abandoned homesteads, cabins, and early mines.
The Main Salmon is warmer than most mountain rivers, and there are plenty of rapids of varying difficulty from splashy Class II runs to adrenaline pumping Class III drops at Bailey, Split Rock, Big Mallard, and Elkhorn. All our guides are licensed and experienced and are there to make sure that your adventure is enjoyable and safe. Idaho Adventures has been showing guests the wonders of the Salmon River since 1973!
All our guides are licensed and experienced and are there to make sure that your adventure is enjoyable and safe. Idaho Adventures has been showing guests the wonders of the Salmon River since 1973!
Guests: Maximum of 12, minimum of 8 per trip.
Itinerary – Example of a 6-Day / 5-Night Lodge to Lodge Trip
Day One 6:30 pm Group Orientation
Mark will meet you at Syringa Lodge to distribute dry bags, talk about the trip in more detail and answer any last minute questions that you may have.
Overnight stays in Salmon (accommodation cost not included in price listed – estimate $50.00 pp/double-occupancy)
Night One (pre-trip) Syringa Lodge,
Syringa Lodge is located in the Mountains overlooking Salmon, Idaho. Your Hosts, Dave and Paula will serve you a wonderful breakfast prior to your River Adventure!
Day Two 8:00 am Departure
After a great breakfast from Syringa Lodge, Mark will pick you up to drive your group to the put-in, approximately 68 mile down river, where you will begin your fabulous Salmon River rafting trip!
Night Two – Arctic Creek Lodge
Arctic Creek Lodge lies in the middle of the steep Salmon River Canyon only a few steps away from the river. Your hosts, Z and Jim are wonderful hosts who will make you feel right at home.
Day 2-5 – River Time
Wind your way down the Salmon River, “River of No Return”, which boasts the title of being the 2nd deepest canyon in North America, second only to the Grand Canyon, yet deeper than both the Middle Fork of the Salmon River and Grand Canyon. Experience warm water, huge beaches, beautiful canyon walls, wild bighorn sheep, raptors, river otters and the many other shy, yet curious resident wildlife as you explore our backyard.
Night Three – Whitewater Ranch
The ranch was originally homesteaded by Eugene Churchill who had a mining claim in the area. In addition to prospecting Churchill supplied vegetables and meat to miners and local communities.
Night Four – China Bar Lodge
China Bar began as a patented mining claim that got its name from Chinese gold miners who spent a couple years on the bar reworking the property after white settlers had moved on.
Night Five – Mackay Bar Ranch
Mackay Bar was once a prime winter camp for Native Americans. The first white settler, William B. Mackay arrived around 1900. Cattle and mining operations were another part of its early history.
Day Six 8:00 am Backcountry Flight
Enjoy a beautiful backcountry flight back to Salmon or Boise after a wonderful breakfast and trip!
Planning Your Trip
Day 1: After a great breakfast from Syringa Lodge, Mark will pick you up to drive your group to the put-in, approximately 68 mile down river, where you will begin your fabulous Salmon River rafting trip!
Final Day: Flight ($220+/-Not Included) from Mackay Bar Ranch back to Salmon or Boise, depending on personal logistics. Flights usually depart between 8:00 am and 9:00 am and flight time is about 50 minutes.
- Highly competent, licensed and darn friendly guides
- Ground transportation to put-in
- FREE Idaho Adventures personal drinking mug.
- Waterproof river bag to store duffle of personal gear
- Small waterproof day bag.
- Fresh, healthful, delicious meals
- Lodge meals, coffee and hot chocolate included
- Plenty of drinking water and ice, lemonade, tea, limited supply of complimentary soda, fruit juice, beer and wine
- Oar boats (guide rowing) paddle boats (you help paddle w/guide on board)
- Inflatable kayaks (water level permitting)
- Coast Guard Approved life jackets, helmets for paddle teams and kayakers
- First Aid Supplies
- Camp chairs for riverside lunches
You should bring….
- Contagious enthusiasm for living every moment of your river journey
- Good quality rain coat and rain pants (rentals available from Idaho Adventures with advance notice)
- Wetsuit and booties for high water trips (rentals available from Idaho Adventures)
- Polypro or fleece jacket
- Swim suit
- Sunglasses with strap
- Sun hat with strap to secure against wind loss
- 2 pair shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts,
- River sandals or tennis shoes for rafting
- Hiking/walking shoes for in camp
- 1 pair long pants, 1 lightweight long sleeve shirt
- Socks, underwear
- Personal toiletries including biodegradable soap
- Small washcloth and towel
- Sunscreen and sunscreen lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Quart water bottle
- Camera, film
- Prescription drugs
- Fishing license / fishing gear, rod in hard case for those on fishing trips
Optional items to bring….
- Hard liquor, cocktail wine, additional beer or soda (no bottled beer, please)
- Small day or fanny pack for hiking
You should NOT bring….
- Boom boxes
- Cell phones
- Denim or heavy cottons for wearing on the water
What is the weather and water like?
The Salmon River Canyon is normally arid and warm from late May to late September with average daytime temperatures ranging from the 70’s to 90’s. Nighttime temperatures are cooler but comfortable, from the low 50’s to high 60’s. Summer water temperatures range from the 60’s to 70’s, perfect for rafting and swimming. May or early June is when river levels generally peak, but the Salmon is fed by enough tributaries to maintain a robust flow of water all summer long – even in low water years.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need further information – We are always happy to assist in your pre-trip planning. E-mail: email@example.com or call Idaho Adventures at 208-756-2986 or 1-800-789-9283.
Choose Your Idaho Fishing Trip
Steelhead Fishing Trips
- 1/2 Day
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- Lodge to Lodge
- Steelhead & Chuckar
Cast n’ Blast
- 4-Day / 3-Night
- 6-Day / 5-Night
- 4 to 6 Day Lodge to Lodge
- Salmon River 1-Day Drift Boat
- Salmon River 3-Day / 4-Night
- Lemhi River 1-Day Walk n Wade
- Lemhi River 2-Day / 2 Night
- 2017 Custom Trips
Lodge to Lodge Salmon River Wilderness Rafting Trips
Dates – Custom Trip May through September
Price Per Person: $1800 to $2500 each depending on length of trip and lodge availability
+ Flight ($220+/-Not Included)
Beverages including limited supply of beer and Idaho wine
Free use of inflatable kayak or paddle board