Salmon River Whitewater Rafting Trip: 3-Day / 2-Night
- When: Friday, Saturday & Sunday May – September
*Customized dates for groups of 8+
- Where: Main Salmon River
- Trip length: Approximately 49 Miles over 3 Days
- Class/Level: III depending on water levels
- Orientation: 7:30 am morning of launch
- Departing time: 9:00 am
- Return time: Approximately 6:00 pm on day 3
- Time on water: On average 4 to 6 hours daily
- Meals & beverages: Included all three days
- Camping: Camping is inclusive for 2 nights
- Age restrictions: 5+- years of age depending on water flow
- Cost: Adult $850.00 / Youth 16 and younger $775
*Discounts for groups 8+ 4.2% off per person
Seize this perfect opportunity to get wet in the “whitewater capitol of the world”.
Your 3-Day / 2-Night River Rafting Trip on The Salmon River of No Return Features:
- Experiencing an unforgettable journey on the Main Salmon River that carved its way through the area now known as the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return creating the second deepest canyon in North America.
- Paddling through peaceful sections of the Salmon River mixed with plenty of exhilarating rapids along the way.
- Talented, experienced guides who like to share local river knowledge, river folklore, wildlife information and are great with families.
- All meals, specially designed for hungry discriminating travelers, snacks and beverages while on the river. Savor amazing fireside grilling and Dutch oven baked breads, deserts and more…
- Wonderful Idaho wines, carefully paired with our gourmet river cuisine.
- Camping includes all gear (nice tents, freshly laundered sleeping bags and pillows, etc.).
- Fishing at camp, fly or spin, cutthroat, bass, and rainbows. We can also provide fly casting instruction by our highly skilled, licensed and bonded guides.
- Photos taken plunging through Pine Creek Rapids. You have the option to purchase a photo(s) at the end of your river trip.
- Option to include an additional inflatable kayak if available. This is a great trip choice if you want to experience kayaking. The first day offers gentle rapids which is great water to get comfortable in the kayak, before day 2 and 3 when the rapids are a little more exhilarating! Please let us know if you are interested.
- Transportation from Salmon, Idaho provided to and from the Salmon River.
Enriched by Nature
You’ll find the distractions of day-to-day city life simply do not exist here. At times you’ll plunge through rapids or gently glide through peaceful sections of river while passing remnants of Native American and early pioneer settlements. You will be surrounded by wonderful river guides, where your safety and comfort is our top priority as you river raft through some of the most beautiful places in Idaho on the Salmon “River of No Return”.
Immersed in nature you may see all kinds of wildlife including bears, bighorn sheep, bald and golden eagles, deer, and many more. Your guide will share history of the Native Americans and the early settlement of Idaho as you travel through this amazing Salmon River canyon.
You will have the opportunity to learn about the gold mining history of Idaho. Your guides will also demonstrate how to pan for gold and take you inside a mine shafts left behind from the late 1880’s. Enjoy great food and camp riverside on this beautiful and exhilarating stretch of the Main Salmon River. We will also stop to explore historic sites.
You won’t go hungry; your journey of healthy river cuisine, wine and fishing will help to create lasting memories while travelling through 49-miles of the Salmon River, ‘River of No Return’, which is the second deepest gorge in North America.
Join us for a fun and relaxing wilderness adventure featuring days filled with rafting, fishing and exploring the Idaho backcountry. Evenings are spent fireside enjoying time with friends, family and great guides.
CHARTER RIVER RAFTING TRIPS
We LOVE to customize trips for private groups including class reunions, wedding parties, family reunions, corporate retreats etc. Click here for more information or call us at 1-800-789-9283.
Itinerary – 3-Day / 2-Night Upper Salmon River Rafting Trip
FRIDAY, SATURDAY & SUNDAY
*Customized dates for groups of 8+
Day 1: Arrive Idaho Adventures’ headquarters at 7:00 am for trip orientations and pack for your river adventure. Depart Idaho Adventures at 9:00 am to the North Fork put–in to begin your three day fun filled river trip. After a short scenic drive, you will arrive around 9:30 am to the put-in where you will get a quick safety briefing at the launch site before you depart for two days of fun filled river adventure.
Our three day trip has a couple advantages to our two day trip. The obvious is the additional day gives you more river time to unwind and enjoy friends, family and the river. The less obvious advantage is that day one is a more gentle section of river giving you more time to dabble with the inflatable kayaks, if you choose.
We will stop along the way for a fantastic riverside lunch. After lunch we will get back on the water with more class I and II rapids and breathtaking scenery. We will arrive to our river camp around 5:00 pm. The guides will dazzle you with fireside grilling and Dutch oven river cuisine, while you enjoy fireside conversations and the night skies with friends and family.
Day 2: Guides will start waking you up around 7:30 with freshly brewed gourmet coffee and tea. After a delicious breakfast we will enjoy another day on the Salmon River plunging through bigger class II and III rapids, such as Pine Creek, Little Falls, Dutch Oven I, Dutch Oven II, and Bone Crusher. The river canyon views are spectacular. Stopping for a riverside lunch along the way we begin entering the deepest section of the river canyon, 2nd deepest in all North America.
Enjoy a Goldmine Tour around 11:00 am, snacks and beverages provided. Your guide will provide a tour of the operation and equipment demonstrating gold panning and explaining how the ore was processed in the old days. Step inside the mine shaft and be reminded of how difficult life was in the 1800’s.
Once again, board your rafts to continue downriver for your day on the “River of No Return” plunging through class II and III rapids. You will stop along the way for another fantastic riverside lunch. After lunch you will get back on the water with more class II and III rapids and breathtaking scenery. You will raft to your river camp arriving around 5:00 pm. The guides will dazzle you with another evening of fireside grilling and Dutch oven river cuisine.
Day 3: After another delicious breakfast we will continue another day of rafting class II and III rapids such as Long Tom, Kramer and Kitchen Creek. We will continue dropping deeper and deeper into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness canyon enjoying breath taking scenery, resident wildlife, including; bighorn sheep, deer, river otter, mink, bald and golden eagles, numerous birds of prey and shore birds.
We will stop for lunch then continue to our take-out at either Cache Bar or Corn Creek depending on your group’s preferences. Expect to arrive back to Salmon around 6:00 pm.
Sample Menu: Day 1
Roast Beef sandwiches on onion rolls with Swiss cheese, red onion, horseradish and mustard
Chips, fruit and cookies
Brie Round with crackers, sliced oranges, kiwi and strawberries
Glazed Salmon Steaks or Fillets
Wild rice pilaf
Steamed vegetables w/toasted almonds, butter and garlic
Rosemary loaf or Baguette w/ butter
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Wines have been chosen compliment your delicious entrée
Other drinks of your choice are available
Sample Menu: Day 2
Orange Cream Cheese French Toast served with real maple syrup
Eggs to order
Coffee and Juice
Fresh Turkey wraps, w/cream cheese, pesto, olives, avocado, red onion tomatoes and lettuce
Fruit Kabobs, Brownies or cookies
Chips and Beverages
Smoked Trout w/capers, red onion and herbed cream cheese and crackers
**Chips and salsa or snacks for kids
Grilled to order Marinated rib-eye steaks
Mandarin Orange Salad w/pecans and Onion Vinaigrette dressing or
Walnut Pear Bleu Cheese Salad with Romaine and green leaf lettuce, sliced red onion, Pear, Walnuts and Bleu Cheese
Roasted New potatoes or Bakers w/a little garlic, drizzle of olive oil and chopped parsley
Garlic Bread w/butter
Beverages include Fine wines chosen by Kristin and Mark to highlight your dinner. Soft drinks and water available
Brownies served with coffee
Sample Menu: Day 3
Avocado Frittata w/ fresh avocados and Cheddar cheese
Sundried tomato sausage
Strawberries and bananas
Coffee and Orange Juice
Hoagies with pastrami, turkey, provolone & cheddar cheese, Red onion, basil leaves, tomato, mayonnaise and mustard
Apples and Oranges
Planning Your Trip
A bus or van will transport you to the river put-in 2 hours downriver at Corn Creek. We take off the river on the 5th day at Carey Creek where a chartered bus or van is waiting to deliver you to McCall. Leaving McCall: Extended transportation packages with several air charter/van options for returning to Boise or Salmon are available for your traveling convenience. Prices and information are listed in rates and dates. Please note: During the month of August we take off the river at Mackay Bar with lunch provided on the 5th day. Either you arrange or have us arrange (through our extended transportation packages) for your air charter departure early that evening.
- Highly competent, licensed and darn friendly guides.
- Ground transportation to and from the river.
- FREE Idaho Adventures personal drinking mug.
- Waterproof river bag to store duffle of personal gear.
- Small waterproof day bag.
- Fresh, healthful, delicious meals beginning with lunch the first day.
- Plenty of drinking water and ice, lemonade, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, limited supply of complimentary soda, fruit juice, beer and wine.
- Oar boats (guide rowing) paddle boats (you help paddle w/guide on board).
- Inflatable kayaks (water level permitting).
- Coast Guard Approved life jackets, helmets for paddle teams and kayakers.
- First Aid Supplies.
- All camping equipment – tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, camp chairs.
You should bring….
- Contagious enthusiasm for living every moment of your river journey
- Good quality rain coat and rain pants (rentals available from Idaho Adventures with advance notice)
- Wetsuit and booties for high water trips (rentals available from Idaho Adventures)
- Polypro or fleece jacket
- Swim suit
- Sunglasses with strap
- Sun hat with strap to secure against wind loss
- 2 pair shorts, 2 short sleeve shirts,
- River sandals or tennis shoes for rafting,
- Hiking/walking shoes for in camp
- 1 pair long pants, 1 lightweight long sleeve shirt
- Socks, underwear
- Personal toiletries including biodegradable soap
- Small washcloth and towel
- Sunscreen and sunscreen lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Quart water bottle
- Camera, film
- Prescription drugs
- Fishing license/fishing gear, rod in hard case for those on fishing trips
Optional items to bring….
- Hard liquor, cocktail wine, additional beer or soda (no bottled beer, please)
- Small pillow
- Small day or fanny pack for hiking
You should NOT bring….
- Boom boxes
- Cell phones
- Denim or heavy cottons for wearing on the water
What is the weather and water like?
The Salmon River Canyon is normally arid and warm from late May to late September with average daytime temperatures ranging from the 70’s to 90’s. Nighttime temperatures are cooler but comfortable, from the low 50’s to high 60’s. Summer water temperatures range from the 60’s to 70’s, perfect for rafting and swimming. May or early June is when river levels generally peak, but the Salmon is fed by enough tributaries to maintain a robust flow of water all summer long – even in low water years.
Choose Your Idaho River Rafting Trip
Scenic Float Trips
- 1/2 Day Salmon River Scenic Float
- 3/4 Day Lewis & Clark Historical Salmon River Scenic Float (includes lunch)
Main Salmon River White Water Rafting
- 1-Day (includes lunch)
- 2-Day / 3-Night
- 3-Day / 4-Night
Main Salmon River Wilderness Journey
- 5-Day / 6-Night
- 6-Day / 7-Night
- 2017 Custom Trips
“The Main Salmon is a perfect learning river for kayaks (inflatable) and my son and I really enjoyed them.”
~Doug Jackson, New York, New York
3-Day / 2-Night Salmon River Rafting Trip
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, May – September
*Customized dates for groups of 8+
Price Per Adult: $850
Price Per Youth: $775 for ages 16 and younger
*Discounts for groups 8+ 4.2% off per person
2 nights camping
All camping gear
Healthy gourmet river cuisine
Beverages including limited supply of beer and Idaho wine
Free use of inflatable kayak