Lewis and Clark Historical Float 3/4-Day
- When: Daily April – September
- Where: Main Salmon River
- Trip length: Approximately 7 miles
- Class/Level: I & II
- Orientation: 9:00 am or 30 minutes prior to arranged launch time
- Departing time: 9:30 am
- Ending time: Approximately 1:45 pm
- Time on water: Varies 3 1/2 to 4 hours
- Meals: Lunch is included
- Age restrictions: 7 and older
- Cost: Adults $85 Youth 16 and younger $65.00 *minimum restrictions apply
*There needs to be a minimum of 3 people per boat, if not cost for the boat is $225.00 for less than 3 people. We will credit back if additional people book.
Your Lewis & Clark Rafting Day Trip Features:
The Lewis & Clark Expedition traveled the country by land and by river. Many significant events occurred here, in the Salmon Valley, birthplace of Sacajawea. This spectacular river trip takes you back in time to explore the river section where the Lewis and Clark expedition made the utmost critical decision to avoid the Salmon River route and instead ride north over Lost Trail Pass.
This trip is a perfect meld of our 1-day whitewater trip and our ½-day scenic float. Enjoy floating 7 miles through a section of the famous Salmon River, River of No Return, river canyon where the river canyon begins getting very rugged and the scenery is spectacular. A little further down river the river enters into the 2nd deepest canyon in North America. Abundant with wildlife viewing your trip may see bighorn sheep, deer, elk, bald eagles, golden eagles, mink, river otters and a host of other canyon wildlife.
- Paddling through peaceful sections of the Salmon River.
- Knowledgeable and interesting stories of Historical people and events.
- A talented, experienced guide will share local river knowledge of how the Salmon earned the name of “River of no return” and forced the Lewis and Clark expedition to turn back in 1805 from their seeking a route to the Pacific ocean.
- Transportation to and from the river by shuttle are provided to all guests.
- Individual kayak and Board can be supplied ($15) if available at time of trip.
CHARTER RIVER RAFTING TRIPS
We LOVE to customize trips for private groups including class reunions, wedding parties, family reunions, corporate retreats etc. Click here for more information or call us at 1-800-789-9283.
Itinerary – Lewis & Clark Rafting Trip
- A little before 9:00 am meet at Idaho Adventures office in Salmon, Idaho
- 9:30 am departure to Spring Creek
- Put-in at Dead Water launch site
- Float the scenic Salmon River where Lewis and Clark scouted the river
- Riverside lunch stop around 12:15 pm
- Take-out at Squaw Creek launch site
- Arrive at Idaho Adventures office building around 1:45 pm
Guests will meet at the Idaho Adventures office located at 10 Courthouse Drive, Salmon, Idaho prior to your trip unless arrangements have been made to be picked up or met at the put-in.
Hot coffee and tea will be available at the Idaho Adventures “Java Junction” coffee bar while an orientation meeting will be held by your guide prior to your boarding a shuttle van for a scenic drive along the river to your boat launch ramp at Squaw Creek. A safety discussion will precede your scenic river trip.
A delicious riverside lunch will be prepared by your guide prior to your return trip back to Salmon. Lunch includes fresh turkey wraps prepared with your choice of cream cheese, pesto, lettuce, tomato, olives, and chips plus drinks with delicious fruit kabobs and brownies for dessert.
Planning Your Trip
Transportation is provided to and from the locations of the put-in and take-out. Life jackets, splash gear, dry bags, and other gear are also provided.
- Highly competent, licensed and darn friendly guides
- Ground transportation to and from the river
- Small waterproof day bag
- Fresh, healthful, delicious lunch
- Plenty of drinking water, various beverages, and limited supply of complimentary soda and beer
- Coast Guard Approved life jackets
You should bring….
- Water sandals, tennis shoes or water shoes
- Jacket if weather is cool
- Sunscreen lip balm
Optional items to bring….
You should NOT bring….
- Boom boxes
- Cell phones
- Denim or heavy cottons for wearing on the water
What is the weather and water like?
The Salmon River Canyon is normally arid and warm from late May to late September with average daytime temperatures ranging from the 70’s to 90’s. Nighttime temperatures are cooler but comfortable, from the low 50’s to high 60’s. Summer water temperatures range from the 60’s to 70’s, perfect for rafting and swimming. May or early June is when river levels generally peak, but the Salmon is fed by enough tributaries to maintain a robust flow of water all summer long – even in low water years.
Choose Your Idaho River Rafting Trip
Scenic Float Trips
- 1/2 Day Salmon River Scenic Float
- 3/4 Day Lewis & Clark Historical Salmon River Scenic Float (includes lunch)
Main Salmon River White Water Rafting
- 1-Day (includes lunch)
- 2-Day / 3-Night
- 3-Day / 4-Night
Main Salmon River Wilderness Journey
- 5-Day / 6-Night
- 6-Day / 7-Night
- 2017 Custom Trips
3/4 Day Lewis & Clark Rafting Trip
DAILY April – September
Price Per Adult: $85
Price Per Youth: $65 for ages 16 and younger
Shuttle to and from river